20110425

Rock Climbing in the Icicle!

It may have been 5 years - yep, years - since I've climbed the lifetime supply of granite around Leavenworth, Washington.  I also haven't climbed 5th class rock since last October, so my first day of rock climbing of the year was also my first day of rock guiding of the year!  Ward wanted to have a warm-up climb for the start of his season, so we headed just west of town to February Buttress (the hike took longer than the drive) and jumped on Ground Hog Day (II 5.6, 3 pitches, 300'/90m) with the alternative first pitch Ain't Misbehaving (5.7).  Call it Misbehaving Ground Hogs?

We had perfect temps (I climbed in short sleeves) and the entire rock to ourselves.  The sound of the river drowned out the light weekday traffic on Highway 2 below.  I think Ground Hog Day is my favorite multi-pitch 5.6 in the state.  Misbehaving Ground Hogs may be my favorite 5.7, but I want to climb A Slice of the Ice (II 5.7, 3 pitches) on Duty Dome before I make that claim.

Ward's all grins at the top of Ground Hog Day's third pitch.