20130115

What's Going On?

I've been working hard this winter to simplify my life.  Clean up the closet.  Make it easier to get out.

I've also fallen into the deep, dark hole that can come from not getting out enough for myself.  Bodies in motion tend to stay in motion.  Bodies at rest tent to stay at rest.  I've been resting too much, and getting moving again, I'm finding, is hard.

Because I don't want to be this guy.
Its easy to keep doing what I've been doing by finding things that need to be done, but that don't further my movement.  The house needs cleaning.  The gear room needs to be organized.  The dogs need to be exercised more than me.  Email needs to be written.  The website needs to be maintained.  The blog needs updating.  Facebook needs a status.  Twitter needs twitting.

Sorry.  No more.

I'm not leaving, but I'm not going to be around like I have been.  After this morning, I'm banning myself from internet from 7:30am to 5pm.  I'm only going to be updating my blog once every week or two, when I actually can pick out the highlight of the week and talk about something exciting instead of just talking.  Call it a New Year's Resolution if you want, but truth is that I'm not completely satisfied with how I've been prioritizing my time, and some changes need to take place.

Speaking of the blog, get ready for some big changes.  I'm leaving the blog format behind, and switching to a more website-looking-site, utilizing Four Square.  You'll see the Adventure's I Follow on the sidebar has been removed.  Honestly, I think I was the single biggest user of that feature, using it as a morning reading list.  My address will stay the same, but this site was originally just a journal and trip report log.  Then it became a quasi-business engine, furthering my guide work through self-promotion.  And finally, this almost-business-website.  I think I've grown past the need for an online journal, trip report log, or blog-trying-to-dress-up-as-a-professional-guide.

I'm supposed to be a guide.  I'm supposed to be outside.  I'm supposed to be in motion.  And I've found myself, more and more, at rest.  And I have to admit - I don't like the way I've become at rest.

That's all I've got to say about that.  I just fed the dogs, I need to clean up, load the car, and get a haircut on my way to the Pass.  I'm going skiing.