Its a Party

About once a month, a department will throw a party. These "informal" celebrations are a huge morale booster: only 25% of an antarctic station is actually performing science. The other 75% is running or maintaining the operations, working 10 hour days 6 days a week for up to 7 months at a stretch. This weekend Science Support cleared out an entire snowmobile garage wing, invited two bands, and one of the FSTP guides turned out to have a hobby spinning music. The band was the best I've heard since I first came down in 1996. This was the scene.