20081121

Come ski with me at Alpine Meadows!


This winter marks a new step for me, and a tremendous opportunity for all of you. I've been hired by Alpine Meadows Ski Area in North Lake Tahoe, California, to be an "Alpine Ski Guide." In the footsteps of Jackson Hole and Kirkwood, Alpine Meadows is starting a front- and side-country ski guide service for its guests.

Alpine Meadows was just listed as one of the 100 best backcountry resorts in the November issue of Backcountry magazine. Fat skis and randonee bindings are as common as not on the lift lines. And the backcountry skiing is impressive on all four sides of the area, especially the terrain to the south and west at Alpine and to the west and north at its sister resort, Homewood.

For my clients, this means they have a great opportunity to be introduced into backcountry skiing the most gentle way possible - by riding a chair up most of the elevation gain! We'll also be able to ski in-bounds when the avalanche conditions close down the OB, or when someone needs to warm up before heading out. But this is California, one of the sunniest (and stable-est) places to ski!

Like the Ski Guide Services at Jackson Hole and Kirkwood, Alpine's is starting from within the Ski School, and so days that I'm not requested to guide I'll be teaching adult skiing classes and working on my Professional Ski Instructors of America Certifications. I'll also be teaching AIARE Level I Avalanche classes with several local providers.

For rates, take a look at the Ski School page on Alpine Meadow's website. If you're surfing the Alpine Meadows website, the rates are listed on the same page as the private lessons. I want to point out that the rate is flat - up to 5 people can hire a guide and split the full-day rate 5 ways!