20121116

WFRing

I finally finished off a killer 9-day work week pedaling back and forth to Bremerton to recertify my Wilderness First Responder with the Wilderness Medicine Institute of NOLS.  WMI is the largest provider of wilderness medicine education west of the Mississippi, and this was my 9th recertification (my 8th with WMI).

WFR is the standard first aid requirement in the US outdoor industry, and has to be recert'ed every two years.  18 years ago I started my career as a US Navy Hospital Corpsman, and left with an EMT-Intermediate qualification and paramedic training.  Over the years, I had to let those qualifications go - its really challenging to keep an EMT or higher certification if you're not working in a medical position.

I also learned that WFR is a verb.

Thanks to Mike Schiller and WMI for another awesome course.  I can recommend WMI without any hesitation - I'd work for them if I could find the time!