20120308

Live to Ski

Patsy was surfing the internet while I was fiddling with gear today when suddenly she blurted out, "Oh no."

I've heard that tone before - the oh-shit-I-just-read-something-bad-you're-not-going-to-like-to-hear tone.  "Who was it?" I asked.

"Steve Romeo - you know him, right?"

I met Romeo in 1999, during my second winter in Jackson Hole.  He was so freaking full of enthusiasm.  I was a complete junkshow and gaper.  But he encouraged me to get a rando set-up, keep skiing, and hike the pass a lot.  So I did.  It's because of experiences with guys like Romeo that I found my way in the mountains.

I'm speaking in the past tense because they found Steve's body, along with Chris Onufer's, underneath Ranger Peak today amongst avie debris.

Steve - you were an inspiration to me.  And based on what I've read today, you inspired a whole lot of other people too.  Live to Ski, Steve.  We've got eyes on you, and we'll see you at the bottom of the run.