20100323

US Ski Mountaineering National Championships

After three days of travel, I'm back in beautiful Pacific Northwest, staying at a friends house in Squamish, British Columbia, only 50km south of Whistler-Blackcomb. I'm attending an AMGA Ski Mountain Guide Course and Aspirant Exam next week, and came up early to get my system dialed before the show. I'm going to try to report daily during the course and exam to show you what this whole AMGA certification process can be like. For tonight...

This year, I've been thinking more and more about randonee / ski mountaineering racing.  My friends Dan and Steve writes about it exhaustively over at DolomiteSport.co and TetonAT.com, respectively.  Right now, I'm interested in the amateur category - using my "spring" and "sidecountry" gear to have a relatively light set up that I might race with next year.

A few friends and I toyed with the idea of trying to start an informal "Rando Series" at Alpine Meadows, but decided we just didn't have the time to play race organizers.  So, we may have some "training" events where we just call a bunch of friends to show up and take off.  Stay tuned.

Meanwhile, the video that prompted this ramble - the results of the 2010 US Ski Mountaineering National Championships at Jackson Hole, Wyoming.