20080808

Books to Read

I'm asked on almost every trip to recommend a reading list. Here is the stack that I pull from regularly:

These first three books cover everything I ever do in the mountains. They're a much more comprehensive and understandable collection than the Mountaineer's Freedom of the Hills.

Alpine Climbing: Techniques to Take You Higher, by Mark Houston and Kathy Cosley.

Backcountry Skiing: Skills for Ski Touring and Ski Mountaineering, by Martin Volken, Scott Schell, and Margaret Wheeler.

Climbing Self Rescue: Improvising Solutions for Serious Situations, by Andy Tyson and Molly Loomis.

These next two books are a little dated (Extreme Alpinism was printed in 1999 and Self-Rescue in 1997), but are still worthy reads. Twight's book inspired me to examine my climbing tactics and strategies. Fasulo's book features the great illustrations of Mike Clelland - I look at the pictures more than read it!!

Extreme Alpinism: Climbing Light, Fast, and High, by Mark Twight.

Self-Rescue
, by David Fasulo.